US stocks gained in the first half of the week, but ended mixed as the US assassination of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani heightened tensions in the Middle East. Bond yields also fell as a result of the airstrike and poor economic data.
Geopolitical tensions also carried over to Europe, with major indexes declining as a result of the military escalation. Europe also witnessed poor manufacturing data out of Germany and the UK, which furthered the slump in eurozone manufacturing.
China continued to see market gains as Trump confirmed a date of January 15th for the signing of phase one of the US-China trade deal.
Get our weekly update directly to your inbox
One Week ETF Trends
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Marijuana ETFs POTX and YOLO led equity returns last week, followed by a number of China ETFs. SmallCap Energy ETF PSCE made the list of top performers as well.
Biotech ETFs took a hit last week, as well as materials ETFs.
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Long-term Treasury ETFs led returns for the fixed income category, headed by PIMCO ETFs ZROZ and LTPZ.
The long LIBOR ETN ULBR saw a big dip for last week, and there seemed to be a losing trend amongst interest rate hedged corporate bond ETFs as well.
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Top Inflows & Outflows
SPY led equity inflows last week, followed by the industrial Sector SPDR ETF XLI.
The consumer staples and utilities sector SPDRs saw top outflows, along with IVV.
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income -1 Week Top Inflows & Outflows
Bond index fund BND saw major inflows, followed by a mix of fixed income ETFs.
iShares Treasury bond ETFS IEF, TLT, and SHY all saw major outflows last week.
On-Screen Liquidity Momentum
Top 10 secondary-market volume increases where ADV 5-day increased substantially over ADV 20-day and ADV 5-day > $10mm
|ETF Name||Ticker||% Diff.|
|IQ Global Resources ETF||GRES||373%|
|IQ Chaikin U.S. Large Cap ETF||CLRG||368%|
|SPDR Bloomberg Barclays 1-10 Year TIPS ETF||TIPX||349%|
|Invesco 1-30 Laddered Treasury ETF||PLW||333%|
|First Trust Consumer Discretionary AlphaDEX Fund||FXD||328%|
|First Trust Materials AlphaDEX Fund||FXZ||322%|
|Innovator S&P 500 Power Buffer ETF – January||PJAN||300%|
|iShares Commodities Select Strategy ETF||COMT||292%|
|ARK Next Generation Internet ETF||ARKW||279%|
|First Trust Large Cap Growth AlphaDEX Fund||FTC||272%|
- AdvisorShares Dorsey Wright FSM US Core ETF DWUS, 114bps
- AdvisorShares Dorsey Wright FSM All Cap World ETF DWAW, 114bps
- Source Dividend Opportunity ETF DVOP, 50bps
- ALPS REIT Dividend Dogs ETF RDOG, 35bps
- SP Funds Dow Jones Global Sukuk ETF SPSK, 65bps
- Syntax Stratified LargeCap II ETF
- Syntax Stratified U.S. Hedged Equity ETF
Expense Ratio Changes
- First Trust Low Duration Strategic Focus ETF LDSF, 86→82bps
- First Trust CEF Income Opportunity ETF FCEF, 296→321bps
- EquityCompass Tactical Risk Manager ETF TERM, 150→73bps
- First Trust Municipal CEF Income Opportunity ETF MCEF, 237→259bps
- iShares MSCI Austria ETF EWO, 47→50bps
- WisdomTree CBOE S&P 500 PutWrite Strategy Fund PUTW, 38→44bps
- Vanguard ESG International Stock ETF VSGX, 15→17bps
- Teucrium Wheat Fund WEAT, 363→381bps
- Pacific Global Senior Loan ETF FLRT, 133→68bps
- Teucrium Soybean Fund SOYB, 363→375bps
- Teucrium Sugar Fund CANE, 358→372bps
- Franklin Liberty International Opportunities ETF FLIO, 65→60bps