It’s a busy week for the ETFLogic team – with our quant team at the Battlefin event in New York talking about our ETF dataset products and sales heading to Dana Point for the IMN Global Indexing & ETFs event.
Our head of Sales Lindsey Tewell will be speaking on a panel at the IMN event on New & noteworthy ETFs to discuss what exactly is required to bring a liquid, investable product to market in today’s increasingly crowded ETF landscape, as well as chart the next wave of innovation in the sector. Other topics for the panel include:
- Do no-fee ETFs have the potential to unseat index fund giants?
- How are regulatory shifts impacting exchange rules and operating models for market-makers?
- How are new funds being marketed, and to which segments of investors? How are ETF investor sentiments changing?
- Which ETF strategies are experiencing the fastest growth? Is growth likely to keep up in a prolonged bull market? How are ETFs expected to perform in a downcycle?
One Week Trends
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Last week, Pfizer PFE acquired Array ARRY for a 50% premium – which gave a huge boost to biotech ETFs, especially SBIO which has a 6.26% weight in ARRY. Gold miner ETFs also posted top returns for the week.
The Barclays Return on Disability ETN RODI took the biggest hit, followed by India ETF SCIF and semiconductor ETFs. VanEcks esports ETF ESPO also made last weeks worst returns, potentially due to the entrance of the new esports ETF NERD.
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
With a lot of hype around the fed and the press potential to cut interest rates, US treasury ETFs soared.
International fixed income names were last weeks biggest losers.
US Listed ETFs – Equity – Top Inflows & Outflows
SPY and QQQ led equity inflows, followed by the consumer discretionary, materials XLB, and financial XLF sector funds.
iShares MSCI EAFE EFA led outflows last week, followed by industrials, emerging markets, and energy. China, health care and Russia also saw
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Inflows & Outflows
iShares iBoxx corporate bond ETF LQD led fixed income inflows, while iShares 1-3 year treasury bond SHY bottomed out.
Treasury ETFs overall saw a mix of inflows and outflows last week, as sentiment has been mixed about whether or not the fed will cut interest rates.
On-Screen Liquidity Momentum
Top 10 secondary-market volume increases where ADV 5-day increased substantially over ADV 20-day and ADV 5-day > $10mm
|ETF Name||Ticker||% diff|
|Xtrackers MSCI All China Equity ETF||CN||395%|
|PIMCO RAFI Dynamic Multi-Factor Emerging Markets Equity ETF||MFEM||391%|
|Principal Active Income ETF||YLD||390%|
|Invesco S&P 500 Equal Weight Industrials ETF||RGI||269%|
|iShares Exponential Technologies ETF||XT||219%|
|Invesco S&P SmallCap Low Volatility ETF||XSLV||214%|
|iShares Broad USD High Yield Corporate Bond ETF||USHY||210%|
|Invesco S&P 500 Equal Weight Health Care ETF||RYH||206%|
|Invesco Optimum Yield Diversified Commodity Strategy No K-1 ETF||PDBC||202%|
|Invesco BulletShares 2019 Corporate Bond ETF||BSCJ||192%|
New Launches, Filings, Closings and Changes
- KFA Large Cap Quality Dividend Index ETF KLCD 41 bps
- iShares Genomics Immunology and Healthcare ETF IDNA 47 bps
- iShares Cybersecurity and Tech ETF IHAK47 bps
- KFA Small Cap Quality Dividend Index ETF KSCD 51 bps
- KFA Global Carbon ETF
- Franklin Liberty US Core Bond ETF
- Two Global X funds are set to see their last day of trading on July 5. Both track indexes from J.P. Morgan and are ETFs of ETFs
- The Global X JPMorgan Efficiente Index ETF EFFE
- Global X JPMorgan US Sector Rotator Index ETF SCTO
Expense Ratio Changes:
- Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF VIG 8→6 bps
- Columbia EM Core ex-China ETF XCEM 23→16 bps
- Innovation Alpha Trade War ETF TWAR 80→81 bps
- American Century Diversified Corporate Bond ETF KORP 45→29 bps
- JPMorgan Diversified Return Europe Equity ETF JPEU 38→37 bps
- JPMorgan Diversified Return Global Equity ETF JPGE 38→29 bps