Welcome to ETFLogic’s weekly update.
We look back at last week’s flows, provide details on new ETF launches and include a timely data point or tool from the ETFLogic Insights platform.
One Week Trends
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Worst returns were led by SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equipment & Services XES.
As the trade wars heated up last week, technology, consumer discretionary, and China exposed names were hit the hardest.
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Long-term treasury ETFs dominated top returns for fixed income, led by Vanguard Extended Duration Treasury EDV.
VelocityShares Long LIBOR ETN ULBR dropped -2.6% last week, and convertible securities and high yield names seemed to be the general losing trend.
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Inflows & Outflows
There was a mix of names for top inflows last week, but the overall trend was into global equities. The health care sector (measured by XLV) also had significant inflows last week.
Although not shown above, we wanted to note the significant inflows into GraniteShares Gold Trust, BAR, of $43mm last week.
SPDR S&P 500 Trust SPY had massive outflows at -$7.5B, and the Financial, Materials, and Energy sectors also topped outflows last week.
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Inflows & Outflows
Overall, the bond market saw inflows last week, as we can see by the Vanguard Total Bond Market BND and iShares Core US Aggregate Bond AGG. Short and intermediate term bonds had money flowing in last week, as well as treasury bonds.
High yield and emerging markets exposed ETFs led fixed income outflows last week.
On-Screen Liquidity Momentum
Top 10 secondary-market volume increases where ADV 5-day increased substantially over ADV 20-day and ADV 5-day > $10mm
|ETF Name||Ticker||% diff|
|GraniteShares Gold Trust||BAR||210%|
|Franklin FTSE Japan ETF||FLJP||170%|
|ProShares Short QQQ||PSQ||129%|
|First Trust Nasdaq-100 Equal Weighted Index Fund||QQEW||125%|
|iShares Currency Hedged MSCI Japan ETF||HEWJ||115%|
|ProShares Short VIX Short-Term Futures ETF||SVXY||108%|
|Direxion Daily Technology Bear 3X Shares||TECS||104%|
|iShares MSCI All Country Asia ex Japan ETF||AAXJ||99%|
|VanEck Vectors Fallen Angel High Yield Bond ETF||ANGL||98%|
|Direxion Daily S&P 500 Bear 3X Shares||SPXS||98%|
New Launches, Filings, Closings and Changes
- Amplify launched a crowdfunding ETF, Amplify CrowdBureau Peer-to-Peer Lending & Crowdfunding ETF, LEND, 65bps
- iShares adds to its ESG suite, the iShares ESG MSCI USA Leaders ETF, SUSL, 15bps
- iShares adds Junk Bonds to its iBonds ETFs with five new funds, each at 35bps
- SoFi launched two new funds last week
- USCF filed for a Crypto ETF, the USCF Crescent Crypto Index Fund XBET
- Aberdeen filed for three AI driven ETFs and three Multi-Factor ETFs
- Aberdeen Standard AI Driven Emerging Markets Equity ETF
- Aberdeen Standard AI Driven International Equity ETF
- Aberdeen Standard AI Driven US Equity ETF
- Aberdeen Standard Multi Factor Emerging Markets Equity ETF
- Aberdeen Standard Multi Factor International Equity ETF
- Aberdeen Standard Multi Factor US Equity ETF
- Index IQ filed for the IQ Ultra Short Duration ETF SDAG
Expense Ratio Changes
- iShares MSCI India ETF INDA, 68→64
- iShares Interest Rate Hedged High Yield Bond ETF HYGH, 54→53 bps
- YieldShares High Income ETF YYY, 202→228 bps
- iShares Interest Rate Hedged Corporate Bond ETF LQDH, 24→25 bps
- Direxion Daily MSCI Japan Bull 3X Shares JPNL, 136→129 bps
- iShares Inflation Hedged Corporate Bond ETF LQDI, 20→19 bps
- Global X Russell 2000 Covered Call ETF RYLD, 75→60 bps
- SPDR Bloomberg Barclays Emerging Markets Local Bond ETF EBND, 40→30 bps