Welcome to ETFLogic’s weekly update.
We look back at last week’s flows, provide details on new ETF launches and include a timely data point or tool from the ETFLogicInsights Platform.
WeWork & Slack have announced IPO’s, the FOMC meeting kicks off today, and the Kentucky Derby is this Saturday!
Here’s what went down in the ETF markets last week…
One Week Trends
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Oil & Gas the clear losers last week, along with rare earth metals.
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Best & Worst Returns
Fixed income returns were led by First Trust SSI Strategic Convertible Securities (FCVT).
International fixed income ETFs took a hit last week, with half of the worst return names being in emerging markets.
US Listed ETFs – Equity – 1 Week Inflows & Outflows
US Listed ETFs – Fixed Income – 1 Week Inflows & Outflows
Long-term treasury bond ETFs saw major inflows last week, led by iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT). Long-term and intermediate-term names overall saw major inflows last week.
Short-term treasury bonds saw major outflows, led by a whopping $1.2B out of Vanguard Short-Term Bond (BSV). Short-term corporate bonds also saw outflows for the week.
On-Screen Liquidity Momentum
Top 10 secondary-market volume increases where ADV 5-day increased substantially over ADV 20-day and ADV 5-day > $10mm
|ETF Name||Ticker||% diff|
|First Trust Utilities AlphaDEX Fund||FXU||285%|
|Xtrackers MSCI All China Equity||CN||266%|
|First Trust Health Care AlphaDEX Fund||FXH||231%|
|JPMorgan BetaBuilders Developed Asia ex-Japan||BBAX||216%|
|iShares Global REIT||REET||197%|
|Schwab Fundamental U.S. Small Company Index||FNDA||183%|
|Highland iBoxx Senior Loan||SNLN||145%|
|Goldman Sachs ActiveBeta Emerging Markets Equity||GEM||130%|
|iShares Edge MSCI Multifactor Intl||INTF||126%|
|Vanguard S&P 500 Growth ETF||VOOG||115%|
New Launches, Filings, Closings and Changes
- Virtus launched its Virtus Seix Senior Loan ETF (SEIX), 57 bps
- Aptus Collared Income Opportunity ETF (ACIO), 79 bps
- Wahed FTSE USA Shariah ETF (HLAL), 50 bps
- QuantX to close its remaining 3 funds
- The Workplace Equality Portfolio ETF EQLT from ALPS saw its last day of trading on the 26th.
Expense Ratio Changes
- Western Asset Total Return ETF (WBND): 47 bps→45 bps
- VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX): 52 bps→53 bps
- VanEck Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ): 53 bps→54 bps
- VanEck Vectors Russia ETF (RSX): 65 bps→67 bps
- SPDR Bloomberg Barclays Intermediate Term Treasury ETF (ITE): 6 bps→ 10 bps
- VanEck Vectors Vietnam ETF(VNM): 68 bps→66 bps
- VanEck Vectors India Small-Cap Index ETF (SCIF): 3 bps→72 bps
- VanEck Vectors Rare Earth/Strategic Metals ETF (REMX): 59 bps→57 bps
- VanEck Vectors Brazil Small-Cap ETF (BRF): 60 bps→59 bps
- VanEck Vectors Natural Resources ETF (HAP): 50 bps→49 bps
- VanEck Vectors Africa Index ETF (AFK): 78 bps→84 bps
- VanEck Vectors Egypt Index ETF (EGPT): 98 bps→94 bps
- VanEck Vectors Israel ETF (ISRA): 60 bps→59 bps
- VanEck Vectors Oil Refiners ETF (CRAK): 60 bps→59 bps
- LHA Market State U.S. Tactical ETF (MSUS): 118 bps→125 bps